At this time of year, when many of us are busy buying presents and preparing for parties and celebrations, it’s important to remember our responsibility to help those in need. The Menu For Hope is an opportunity for all of us to help those less fortunate. Menu For Hope I raised funds for the victims of the tsunami in Southeast Asia, while Menu For Hope II raised money for victims of the earthquake in the Kashmir region of Pakistan and India.
This year’s Menu For Hope is all about helping the United Nations World Food Programme. The event will take place from December 11 to 22. During that time, you will have the opportunity to purchase raffle tickets for some truly exciting gifts. Every bit counts so I ask that you look deep into your hearts and dig deep into you wallets for a most worthy cause.
Because I will be on holiday on December 11th, I’m posting the information about my donated prize a few days early. However, on December 11th, please visit Chez Pim’s campaign page to browse the global prize list. On December 10th, you can also visit the Canadian campaign page for Menu For Hope III on Jasmine’s blog, Confessions of a Cardamom Addict. Jasmine is coordinating Canadian entries for this event so on behalf of all Canadian bloggers, I’d like to extend a most heartfelt thanks to her for taking this on! From December 11th onward, for information about the administration of Menu For Hope tickets and donations, visit the site that’s handling it all: First Giving.
For my own donation to this event, I am offering two new cookbooks that would make a wonderful addition to any cookbook library! The first book is Celebrations 101 by Rick Rodgers, author of the classic Kaffeehaus. Celebrations 101 is an all-purpose entertaining cookbook that will guide you through any type of party imaginable, including A New Year’s Day Open House, a Spring Shower, A Father’s Day Cookout and an Intimate Thanksgiving. The book is full of amazing recipes, lovely photographs and even includes shopping lists!
The second book will help you deal with all the calories you intake after working your way through Celebrations 101. The book is Juice! by Pippa Cuthbert and Lindsay Cameron Wilson. Juice! is a colourful guide to the world of creating your own juices at home. From healthy to decadent, there are some incredible recipes in this book for beverages that are wholesome and delicious.
If you’re interested in this prize, then visit the donation page between December 11 and December 22 and donate. Each $10 US that you donate will buy you one raffle ticket towards the prize of your choice. You must specify which prize you’re interested in by quoting the prize code in the "personal message" section.
The prize code for my gift is CA16.
Here are the detailed instructions for the event:
- Go to the donation page at http://www.firstgiving.com/menuforhopeIII to make a contribution.
- Each US $10 donation will give you one raffle ticket toward a prize of your choice. Please specify which prize or prizes you’d like by entering the prize code in the ‘Personal Message’ section in the donation form when confirming your contribution. E.G. A US $50 donation may be two tickets for UW99 and three tickets for CA20.*
- Some companies will match personal charitable donations made by staff. If your company has such a program, please remember to mark the appropriate box and fill in the information so we could claim the corporate match.
- Please also check the box to allow us to see your email address. We need this so we can contact you in case you win a prize. If you do not do this, we will be unable to contact you. Please be assured that we will not share your email address with anyone.
- Raffle results will be announced on 15 January on Chez Pim. Draws will be conducted electronically, thanks to Derrick at Obsession with Food for creating the computer application used to magically select names.
*N.B.: Canadian tax laws prohibit charitable donation receipts to be issued by registered Canadian charities for raffle or lottery tickets. The UNWFP is a U.S.-based charity; should any donation receipts be issued, you will need to seek professional advice regarding applying them to your Canadian income tax return.
Please be generous and support the Menu For Hope III!
In other news …
I wanted to thank everyone for all the wonderful tips you sent me regarding my trip to Berlin, Prague and Vienna. I’ll do my best to visit all the incredible places you mentioned!
And finally, I wanted to direct your attention to a special article that I was thrilled to be a part of. I was contacted by Gabrielle Lichterman, Editor-in-Chief of Four Weeks Magazine (www.fourweeksmag.com) with a request for a hot cocoa recipe that would be included in a feature on hot cocoa. If you have a few moments, read the article which includes contributions from Jenjen of Bake or Break, Rachel of Coconut & Lime and Food Maven and Deb of Smitten Kitchen. The recipes all sound wonderful! I’d like to thank Gabrielle for this opportunity and look forward to spending lots of time reading this great site.