Oh, January! Wherefore did thou go?
I was just getting used to you and before I knew it I found myself in February.
Alright, February. Gimme what ya’ got!
The Super Bowl is up first, you say. Super Bowl XLI to be exact.
Well. This is slightly problematic in that I don’t particularly care for football, not to mention the fact that Canada doesn’t even have an NFL team.
Still. It is an opportunity to consume vast amounts of food all in the name of some occasion.
In that light, I simply must share with you one of my very favourite dips. It takes about five minutes to prepare and it’s guaranteed to disappear within five minutes of being set on the table.
It’s that good.
For all you football fans, enjoy the Super Bowl. I shall be eating this dip by the spoonful contemplating what February will send my way next.
The Supreme Artichoke Dip
Adapted from Delicious Dips by Diane Morgan.
- 1 red onion, roughly chopped
- 2 green onions, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 cans artichoke hearts packed in water, drained and roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1/2 tsp. hot paprika
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs (unseasoned)
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. parsley, finely chopped
- 2 to 3 tbsp. olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the red onion, green onion, garlic and artichoke in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until the mixture is combined and everything is coarsely chopped.
- In a bowl, mix the mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, lemon zest and Parmigiano.
- Add the onion and artichoke mixture and mix well.
- Add the paprika, salt and pepper and taste. Adjust seasoning as desired.
- Spoon the mixture into a 9-inch shallow baking dish (you can use any baking dish as long as it’s shallow).
- In a bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, oregano and parsley. Add enough oil so that the crumbs clump together and you have a streusel-like topping.
- Sprinkle the crumbs evenly over the artichoke dip.
- Bake until the mixture bubbles at the sides and the crumbs have turned a deep golden colour.
- Serve immediately with pita chips, crackers or bread sticks.